The City of Salem encourages all community members to monitor weather forecasts and City alerts ahead of the potential storm, likely to arrive this coming weekend, overnight September 15th through September 16th.
The National Weather Service has issued a tropical storm watch for Coastal Massachusetts, including Salem, for Friday night through Saturday. Salem will be in the outer wind band fields of the storm and may see gusts in the 40-50 MPH range. There may be a tidal inundation up to 3’ with a minor storm surge, all dependent on the timing of the storm at high tide.
Residents who live in areas prone to coastal flooding should plan ahead; anticipate road closures on streets prone to flooding. Currently there is no recommendation from the Salem Fire Department/Emergency Management to evacuate.
Rainfall amounts may exceed 2” so residents are asked to help ensure storm drains and catch basins in the vicinity of their home are clear. Stay tuned to local media and social media for any further updates.
The City of Salem is taking the following actions to prepare for the storm:
- Closing or opening tide gates for the South River and Forest River as necessary to help mitigate flooding in the South Salem area;
- Installing jersey barriers in the Juniper Point and Shore Avenue areas to provide additional sea wall and storm surge protection;
- Checking and cleaning catch basins in as many locations as feasible to help mitigate flooding (residents are encouraged to assist by checking catch basins and storm drains near their homes);
- Staging barriers in targeted locations for anticipated road closures in flooding-prone areas;
- Pre-emptively scheduling crews for the highest forecasted rain times to assist with potential flooding issues;
- Pre-emptively scheduling standby tree crews for the highest forecasted wind times during the storm;
- Installing generator at the Ocean Avenue pump station in the event of a power loss to the station.
“Please take precautions and stay alert this weekend during the predicted storm,” said Mayor Dominick Pangallo. “Be sure to check on any neighbors who may need assistance, and reach out to the City with any emergency needs.”
The City of Salem Department of Public Service (DPS) will be on call for any other utility issues that may arise. In case of such an issue, call DPS at 978-744-3302 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8AM-4PM). Outside of normal business hours call the Salem Police at 978-744-1212 or Salem Fire at 978-744-1235.
For issues that arise overnight on Friday or over the weekend, residents should call the Salem Police Department 978-744-1212. Do not use SeeClickFix or the DPS business line in those situations.
To report a power outage, call 1-800-465-1212. To report an emergency, call 9-1-1.
978-619-5600 ext. 41002